Monday, March 9, 2009

Mixed up week

This has been a rather mixed up week. For most of the days activities we had planned out, we ended up doing something else. We attended the Transfer meeting on Wednesday and it was very exciting to see a good part of the mission receive there new assignments. There were 9 new missionaries (6 Spanish and 3 English). One Elder is from Riverton, Utah and another from Rigby, Idaho. One of the new Elders is from Kenyan. He is 26 years old and will be a powerful missionary. His village pooled their money and bought him a suit before he left. His Bishop had told him he could not serve a mission because of his age, but someone else heard about his desire to serve and got things straightened out. One of our couple missionaries sat in on a lesson he helped give just two days after his arrival and they said he is an amazingly powerful teacher. Afterwards, we were able to help out by taking a group of missionaries and their luggage to the Mission Office and then drove to the Biscami area (north of Miami) to deliver luggage to some other missionaries. We also delivered some bicycle helmets to some other missionaries up in our area and later in the week we delivered a bike and later that evening a bike rake to still some more missionaries. The afternoon of the Transfer day, we picked up some dessert we had ordered and helped Sister Hale prepare for the Finishers Dinner. The dessert has a history. We ordered it from an Italian bakery on the Saturday before. A couple of days later, Elder Black was prompted to call the bakery and make sure there was no alcohol in it (it had a cherry on top) and sure enough it would have had rum in it, if the prompting had not been followed. We also enjoyed going to the Finishers fireside to listen to the 8 departing missionaries testimonies.

Another contributor to the mixed up week was the fact that several weeks ago I was asked to give a deposition for a law firm representing an insurance company in a law suit brought by TerraTek's former landlord (who also has a law suit against TerraTek). I will be giving the deposition this afternoon at 3:30 pm in Ft. Lauderdale. The landlord is claiming that TerraTek removed his fixtures (our equipment) from the building, the building was left in bad shape and he was unable to rent it. I had taken the landlord and some contractors on a tour through the building and then wrote up some notes on what was discussed on the tour and gave them to Sid. I was told that the deposition would be about one hour which sounded okay, but then last week I spent about 5-6 hours talking to and being questioned by various lawyers from both sides and TerraTek's lawyer offered to represent me at the deposition which I gladly accepted. Today, I am expecting at least two more calls. I will let you know how it goes. We used to watch a lot of Perry Mason episodes, but I'm not sure how much that will help out.

No comments: